Paying attention & loosening 'nots'

" Issues of loyalty, betrayal, values, and shared resources are rising to the surface. Take inventory of how you feel on those fronts as the Moon moves over the end of the zodiac and through the beginning this week. Pay particular attention Wednesday through Friday morning when the Moon in Aries opposes Mercury and Venus broadly. "
-Approaching the Blue Moon in Taurus

Not everyone pays heed to the stars, or notices the Moon. Maybe, the separation between what passes for the most vital plot lies somewhere between our choices about what's important, and what is not. If the stars and planets are difficult to see where you live, that could be a reason (or an excuse) for not noticing how they move and that they do move. 

As I sit, inside, to warm up and catch the drift of an idea, Pete is helping chop a pile of Echinacea root. The freshly-dug root was flown from Grant's Pass, Oregon and driven in a UPS truck overnight. We prepared one of our old coolers to receive the root, and I drew a sign on turquoise colored paper to alert the driver and Pete carried the whole shebang down the serpentine drive to the level ground below. Driving up and turning around at the top the steep drive near our Camp Bamboo place has trapped other delivery people. We didn't want to trap a UPS driver.

The gnarly roots are best tinctured fresh, rather than dried, but these were very tough and I was glad Pete could sharpen the knives and apply the manly pressure I did not have. This is People's Medicine weren't making, so it's good we had two people to prepare our antibiotic of choice

AND THEN ... here's where "take inventory of how you feel about the issues of loyalty, betrayal, values, and shared resources." Sticking with the Echinacea root tincture we have just made I read Susun Weed's artcle more closely.

" I find echinacea as effective as antibiotics (dare I say sometime better than!) if E. angustifolia/augustifolia — but not E. purpurea — is used when you make your own tincture; tincture, not capsules or teas, is used; the root, and only the root, is used; and very large doses are taken very frequently."

Reading my packing slip I find I have prepared Echinacea purpurea root. The reason I needed Pete's help should have been a clue. Echinacea purpurea root is more fibrous (tougher). The last time (three years ago) I tinctured this herb it was fleshier as I remember, but, I may be remembering differently or this year Echinacea needed to become tougher; to be stronger. I've sent an email to a local herbalist asking for experience with either of these varieties. I'll make my decision about using the tincture. A tincture takes at least 6 weeks to 'brew', I can gather more info and choose to use the medicine or not. 

Heard back from my neighbor and herbalist, Julie Charette Nunn, about her experience with Echinacea:

"I always make my echinacea tincture with fresh Echinacea purpurea root.  It has been very potent and effective for us.  

I find the dry echinacea purpurea root made into tincture to be less potent.  I know Susun uses the Echinacea angustifolia
root in her tinctures.  She usually makes it from dry E. Angustifolia root and that is plenty potent.  
I haven’t really used the E. angustifolia root very much so don’t really know the difference."

Whewww ... saved by the bell. Rather than complete panic, reaching out for another opinion, another Wise Woman with plenty of experience with people's medicine and comfort with Plants, helped me be... loosened. It's one of those times when episodes, or adventures, with a real life connect (if I'm paying attention) recalibrate. 

The decisions, and the situations, that led to me becoming more and more a woman who trusts the company of plants, and place ... a kanaka maoli honua started when all those former factors of stability went out with the outgoing tide. 

no home

no health

no safety

My astrologer offered this, rather dubious advice I thought, at the time.

"You might as well float."

She was right. Both Pete and I were born water signs. We had it in us to know internally what it means to float. It would take years, lots of practice with sinking and capsizing to slowing loosen up.  But, it feels like we're getting the hang of things.

I feel ripe right now. A bit water logged perhaps, winkled from all that practice. And that? That might just be good enough for now.

To end today's post ... a couple ripening old people stitching and stretching to loosening 'nots.

 



 

RELATED:

Writing stories for our grandson: "Seeing one thing, and remembering another"

Jude Hill's Spirit Cloth: "Another Kind of Thread"



 

Comments

Popular Posts