Feeling the pressure, Becoming a tincture and Kite-making

"I feel tinctured … I make medicine/tinctures from fresh weeds and over the time I’ve been doing that I see how the alcohol draws the essence of the weed into the liquid. They become different. I sorta feel like a tincture. Potent, but not deadly:) and different in different situations." - a comment I left over here
JOTS ... hover over 'girl cat' and read a small story about her.
When we lived in the woods, not far from where we live now, I slowly got to know the plants, and weeds who lived nearby. I was excited to learn, and began a self-study program with Susun Weed. I am a good reader, Susun Weed is committed to sharing her life's work (hundreds of articles are available through her website), and I work well on my own. The local libraries had her books, and the libraries then were still open; I could reserve a hold-in-your-hands book. And, Susun Weed has made great use of YouTube to spread her intentions to share the Wise Woman Traditions.

Piecing resources together is something I have made an art of ... again, I thank my Ma for that!

I was feeling the pressure to learn to care affordably for myself and Pete. A Safety Pin life is based on small, common and moveable remedies of all sorts, from metaphor to practical 'holds and fastenings' I made good use of my isolated life, and concentrated. In the company of the many, many trees, shrubs and weeds there was also a fine black cat who watched my every move and influenced me with her wildness. Her name was JOTS. Together we had a time! *

And over the years I have become a tincture.

I like how this description fits me, over time, and sometimes better than at other times. Aging does have its benefits and among them, at least for me, is my willingness to accept that I am easier to take in small doses. LOL

  "Tinctures are a popular way of using medicinal herbs. They have the following advantages over water-based preparations:
  • Tinctures remain potent for many years.
  • Small quantities of tinctures are effective, sometimes as little as one drop, making them more portable and potable.
  • Tinctures act very rapidly, especially when administered under the tongue.
  • Certain herbal alkaloids and resins are extractable only into alcohol. not water.
  • A very small amount of plant material produces a tincture consisting of many medicinal doses." - Susun Weed


And what about kite-making?

When we moved onto the campground in Langley we were welcomed by bunnies and a family of children who were a tincture, and antidote customized for us. One Sunday not long after we settled in, Pete sat at the picnic table and made kites for the kids.

That's Pete (in full-beard at the beach, and on the bench).


To finish this post, and connect kite-making and flying with the present ... Pete and I spent time with two wahine (women) from Hawaii who have been such meaningful teachers in our lives. Malia Nobrega-Olivera and Kalei Nu'uhiwa, two friends and awesome leaders/teachers in the Hawaiian community shared their fabulous selves in this session of LEI ANUENUE.
Episode 3: Kilo Makani (pay attention to the winds ... and go fly a kite!) Mahalo nui loa e Malia, e Kalei!!


Wow, what messages and messengers come when you're paying attention. What's grabbing your attention?



* If you are interested. A whole bunch of very sweet vintage memories were pieced together during the years JOTS and I walked and talked about all kinds of things. Oh how I still miss her. There's a medicine story blog to read. I was going to make it into an e-book. But? Time passed.  Go here and have a time. Enjoy. 

Comments

Popular Posts